The end of the year is always about reflection. Sorry for the late post today...it's been kind of a crazy one...
I saw this on City Girl the other day and loved it so much I decided to try it. How about you?
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Started Monica L. Shulman Photography LLC (wowsa!), started this blog, took photos every day, pushed myself beyond limits I never even knew existed.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't like to make resolutions because then I feel like I have somehow failed if I don't keep them (extreme, I know). But, really, I think it's better to just make a list of things "To Do" and try to accomplish them as the year progresses. At the beginning of last year I just wanted to push myself to explore this "photography thing" beyond my comfort level. By the end of the year I have participated in four international shows, have been hired for private commissions, have been featured in a magazine, have received honorable mention in a major international photography contest, started this blog, launched a website...wow, to write it out astonishes even me! All the while, I've also worked as a real estate professional and sold several properties even in this awful market (I have to finance this "photography thing" after all!) and I've traveled to Thailand, Cambodia, Los Angeles, Paris, Montreal and Buenos Aires.
How can I follow up this year? Well, true to form, while I haven't made any official "resolutions" (other than promising to get my ass to the gym more), I'm just hoping that my "To Do" gets shorter as the year goes on. For one, I want to open my Etsy store and for two I want to start my greeting card business and for three, four, five, etc. I want to continue to travel, participate in shows and complete some other "personal goals" to be discussed later on this blog;-) stay tuned!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My sister and my sister-in-law..two beautiful nieces.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Thankfully, no. I got a break this year from the sadness that losing a loved one causes.
5. What countries did you visit? Cambodia,
Argentina, France, Canada.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
More time with family and friends. More courage.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 14th - Paloma Aurora graced us with her presence.
July 6th - The one year anniversary of the day I started my new life.
November 4th - The world changed.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
So many...The website, all the accomplishments in photography, having the courage to leave my career as an attorney for something new, this blog...
9. What was your biggest failure?
I just want to work on being more secure and confident and having more courage.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I'm hypothyroid. The good news is that I lost weight (or, just went back to my normal weight) because of the medication...
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Mac, some photography goodies, Paloma's stroller, my new lizard skin bag from Argentina, our new couch...A lot of random things and I love them all!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My wonderfully supportive husband. He deserves celebration every day and night for just being awesome, in general.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Let's just say I CANNOT wait until the current Administration leaves office.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, photography-related expenses, travel, I can't even bear to think of it.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Aside from photography? ;-) All the babies everywhere...family and friends!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Foo Fighters - The Pretender. Amazing - Seal.
In reality there are so many...
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? Happier, thinner, richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes, over and over again with my husband. And, a new kind of love...Palomita.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Thank GOD for DVR...Project Runway, Gossip Girl, Inside the Actors Studio, Ugly Betty, How I Met Your Mother, Lipstick Jungle (please don't cancel this), Lost, The Daily Show, Dexter, AC360.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Anyone? No. Anything(s)? Come on...yes.
24. What was the best book you read?
This year? The House of Spirits. The first half of "The God Delusion" - I have to finish the second half.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I have to think about this one but...this year...Nouvelle Vague, Carla Bruni, Mark Ronson...I love music so I'm always finding new stuff I like.
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I'm a Netflix gal and rarely go to the theater but good movies that I saw this year but aren't necessarily from this year...Babel, Juno. Lately we just rent shows on Netflix...my new favorite is "Freaks and Geeks" - why on earth did they cancel it? It's so great.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned thirty-one-derful and went to the Hampton for my birthday, had dinner with D and my family and then had a party at home with friends.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
This answer is just for me.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Fashion forward, glamorous, city comfy chic. This must be a joke. I'm laughing out loud at this. I never think about these things.
32. What kept you sane?
The elliptical machine, photography, Flickr, Ciao, Chessa!, yoga, Paloma.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? President-Elect Brack Obama. Hillary Clinton. Angelina Jolie.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Sarah Palin, the war in Iraq, the Bailout plan, the economy, in general, the Madoff scandal. Honestly, this list is endless.
35. Who did you miss?
Family and close friends who I don't get to see nearly enough.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
So many blogging friends!
Amy, Elizabeth, Melisa...
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Things have a way of working themselves out. I suppose I always knew this but...
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I'm not like the girls that you've known
but I believe I'm worth coming home to"
The Pretender - Foo Fighters